Choose product document...
Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 Update 4
User Guide for VMware vSphere
Veeam Backup & Replication provides support for the following versions of the VMware vSphere platform.
- vSphere 6.x
- vSphere 5.x
- VMware Cloud on AWS
Free ESXi is not supported. Veeam Backup & Replication leverages vSphere and vStorage APIs that are disabled by VMware in free ESXi.
- vCenter Server 6.x (optional)
- vCenter Server 5.x (optional)
- All types and versions of virtual hardware are supported, including 62 TB VMDK.
- Virtual machines with disks engaged in SCSI bus sharing are not supported, because VMware does not support snapshotting such VMs.
- RDM virtual disks in physical mode, independent disks, and disks connected via in-guest iSCSI initiator are not supported, and are skipped from processing automatically. Network shares and mount points targeted to 3rd party storage devices are also skipped as these volumes/disks are not visible in the VM configuration file.
- All operating systems supported by VMware.
- Application-aware processing for Microsoft Windows 2003 SP1 and later except Nano Server, due to the absence of VSS framework.
- VMware Tools (optional, recommended). VMware Tools are required for the following operations: application-aware processing, file-level restore from Microsoft Windows guest OS and SureBackup testing functions.
- Open VM Tools (OVT, optional). Open VM Tools are a set of services and modules used by VMware for interaction with VMs running Linux or other VMware supported Unix-like guest operating systems.
- All latest OS service packs and patches (required for application-aware processing).
vCloud Director 8.x up to 9.7
Supported File Systems
- FAT, FAT32
- ReFS (ReFS is supported only if Veeam Backup & Replication is installed on Microsoft Windows Server 2012 or later).
- ext2, ext3, ext4
DRBD (Distributed Replicated Block Devices) are not supported.
HFS, HFS+ (volumes up to 2 TB)
Micro Focus OES
File-level restore is supported for Micro Focus Open Enterprise Server (Micro Focus OES). Micro Focus NetWare is not supported (Veeam Backup & Replication may fail to detect NSS volumes).
AD-enabled NSS volumes on Open Enterprise Server 2015 are supported. Restore of NSS file/folder permissions is not supported.
Note: Starting from Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 Update 4a, restore of NSS trustee rights on files/folders is supported.
- ZFS (except any pool versions of Oracle Solaris)
The FLR appliance uses module ZFSonLinux version 0.7.0. For this reason, Veeam Backup & Replication supports only those versions of pools and features that are available in ZFSonLinux version 0.7.0.
Consider the following:
- You cannot restore pipes and other file system objects. File-level restore supports recovery of files and folders only.
- The multi-OS wizard works not only with basic disks, but also Linux LVM (Logical Volume Manager) and ZFS pools. Encrypted LVM volumes are not supported.