If you already have a backup of machines whose restore points you want to copy in the target backup repository, you can map a backup copy job to this backup. Backup copy job mapping can be helpful if you plan to copy backups over the WAN or slow connections. Mapping will help you transfer a smaller amount of data and reduce the load on the WAN or network.
A backup copy job mapped to a backup is performed in the following way:
- Veeam Backup & Replication accesses a backup to which you map the backup copy job. The backup may have any number of restore points in the chain. This backup chain will be used as a seed for the further backup copying process.
- During subsequent backup copy intervals, Veeam Backup & Replication copies restore points in a regular manner. It copies only incremental changes and stores them as new restore points next to the seed backup chain.
A mapped backup copy job does not store copied restore points in a dedicated folder in the target backup repository. Instead, it stores restore points to the same folder where the "seed" backup chain resides.
Limitations for Backup Copy Job Mapping
- [For VM backup copy jobs] A backup copy job can be mapped only to a backup created with the incremental backup method. You cannot map a backup copy job to a backup created with the reverse incremental backup method, or to a backup whose chain contains both incremental and reverse incremental restore points (for example, if the backup chain has been transformed). To overcome this limitation, you can use a workaround scenario. For more information, see Creating Seed for Backup Copy Job.
- If the initial backup that you plan to use as a seed is encrypted, you must enable encryption for the backup copy job, too. In terms of Veeam Backup & Replication, the encryption setting applies to the whole backup chain. If the full backup is encrypted, subsequent incremental backups must also be encrypted.
The password that you use for the backup copy job can differ from the password used for the initial backup job.
- [For backup copy jobs processing Veeam Agent backups] You can map a Veeam Agent backup copy job only to backups created by the following types of jobs:
- Veeam Agent backup copy job that processes backups created by Veeam Agent operating in the standalone mode
- Veeam Agent backup job configured directly on a Veeam Agent Computer
You cannot map a backup copy job to a backup created by a Veeam Agent backup job configured in Veeam Backup & Replication.