Changing Backup Chain Formats
Veeam Backup & Replication supports the following ways to store backup files: per-machine backup with separate metadata files, per-machine backup with single metadata file and single-file backup. For more information, see Backup Chain Formats.
Changing the Use per-machine backup files option for existing backup repositories or moving backups to other repositories does not change the backup chain format. To change the format, follow the instructions in this section.
Consider the following:
Per-Machine Backup with Single Metada File to Per-Machine with Separate Metadata Files
To change the backup chain format from per-machine with single metadata file to per-machine with separate metadata files, use the upgrade functionality:
- Open the Home view.
- In the inventory pane, select the Backups node.
- In the working area, select the necessary jobs. Note that the selected jobs must be targeted to the same repository.
- Right-click one of the selected jobs and click Upgrade backup chain format. Alternatively, click Upgrade Backup Chain Format on the ribbon.
Veeam Backup & Replication will generate new metadata files for the existing backups. After the upgrade, the job will continue the backup chain and will create per-machine backups with separate metadata files.
To change the backup chain format, you must detach the existing backup chain from the job and then target the job to the required repository:
- Detach backups from the job for whose backups you want to change the backup chain format. For more information, see Detaching Backups from Jobs.
- Make sure that the job is targeted to a repository with the necessary state of the Use per-machine backup files check box. You can edit job settings or repository settings.
The selected check box is for per-machine backups with separate metadata files, the cleared check box is for single-file backups. You cannot upgrade the backup chain to the per-machine backup with single metada file as this format is obsolete since Veeam Backup & Replication version 12.
- To create backup files of the required backup chain format, launch the job. The job will create active full backups.