Data backup in the Direct NFS access transport mode is performed in the following way:
- The backup proxy sends a request to the ESX(i) host to locate a VM on the NFS datastore.
- The ESX(i) host locates the VM.
- Veeam Backup & Replication triggers VMware vSphere to create a VM snapshot.
- The ESX(i) host retrieves metadata about the layout of VM disks on the storage (physical addresses of data blocks).
- The ESX(i) host sends metadata to the backup proxy.
- The backup proxy uses metadata to copy VM data blocks directly from the NFS datastore over LAN.
- The backup proxy processes copied data blocks and sends them to the target over LAN.