Enabling Traffic Encryption
By default, Veeam Backup & Replication encrypts network traffic transferred between public networks. For details, see Adjusting Internet Rule.
Network rules also allow you to encrypt backup data transfer connections between Veeam Data Movers in private networks. Network traffic encryption is provided by TLS connection and configured as the part of global network traffic rules that are set for backup infrastructure components.
Veeam Plug-ins for Enterprise Applications do not support traffic encryption.
For more information about supported TLS versions and cipher suites, see Encrypted Communication in the System Requirements section.
To create a network rule with traffic encryption:
- From the main menu, select Network Traffic Rules.
- In the Name field, specify a name for the rule.
- In the Global Network Traffic Rules window, click Add and select an IPv4 or IPv6 rule. Note that you can add the IPv6 rule only if the Enable IPv6 communication check box is selected. For more information, see IPv6 Support.
- In the Source IP address range section, specify a range of IP addresses for backup infrastructure components on the source site.
- In the Target IP address range section, specify a range of IP addresses for backup infrastructure components on the target site.
- Select the Encrypt network traffic check box.
If encryption is enabled on a backup job level, backup data will be encrypted before sending. For more information, see Storage Settings.