You can instruct Veeam Backup & Replication to periodically perform the health check for the latest restore point in the backup chain and run maintenance operations to make sure that the backup chain remains valid and consistent.
To specify the health check and maintenance settings, at the Storage step of the New Backup Job wizard, click Advanced and click the Maintenance tab.
Specifying Health Check Settings
To specify health check settings for the backup job:
- In the Storage-level corruption guard section, select the Perform backup files health check check box and specify the time schedule for the health check. By default, if the health check is enabled, it is performed monthly at 22:00 PM every last Friday.
- To specify the health check schedule, click the Configure link.
- In the Schedule Settings window, specify whether you want to perform the health check monthly or weekly and specify the schedule settings.
Specifying Backup File Maintenance
To specify maintenance settings for the backup job:
- To specify retention period for deleted VMs, select the Remove deleted items data after check box and specify the number of days for which you want to keep backup data for deleted VMs.
Consider the following:
- To periodically compact a full backup, select the Defragment and compact full backup file check box.
- To specify the schedule for the compact operation, click the Configure link.
- In the Schedule Settings window, specify whether you want to compact a full backup monthly or weekly and specify the schedule settings.
If you want to save this set of settings as the default one, click Save as default. When you create a new job, the saved settings will be offered as the default. This also applies to all users added to the backup server.
If you schedule periodic full backups, the Remove deleted items data after and Defragment and compact full backup file check boxes do not apply.