You can use CIFS (SMB) shares as backup repositories.
SMB Backup Repository Deployment
To communicate with an SMB backup repository, Veeam Backup & Replication uses two Data Mover Services that are responsible for data processing and transfer:
- Veeam Data Mover on the backup proxy
- Veeam Data Mover on the gateway server
An SMB share cannot host Veeam Data Movers. For this reason, to communicate with the SMB share, you need to deploy a gateway server. Veeam Backup & Replication will automatically deploy a Veeam Data Mover on this gateway server. For more information, see Gateway Server.
When any job addresses the backup repository, the Data Mover Service on the gateway server establishes a connection with the Data Mover Service on the backup proxy, enabling efficient data transfer over LAN or WAN.
If you plan to move VM data to an offsite SMB repository over a WAN link, it is recommended that you deploy an additional gateway server in the remote site, closer to the SMB repository.
Requirements for SMB Backup Repositories
A machine performing the role of an SMB repository must meet the following requirements:
- The machine must meet the system requirements. For more information, see System Requirements.
- The role of the repository can be assigned to a Microsoft Windows machine (physical or virtual).
- You must add the machine to the Veeam Backup & Replication console as a managed server.