Before you configure a file to tape job, complete the following prerequisites:
- You must configure one or more regular media pools with the necessary media set and retention settings.
- You must load tapes to the tape device and configure the target media pool so that it has access to them. If the media pool has no available tape, the tape job will wait for 72 hours and then terminate.
- To back up NDMP volumes, add a storage device that supports the NDMP protocol as an NDMP server. For more information, see Adding NDMP Servers.
System Requirements for Large Number of Files in Job
If the file to tape job will process large quantities of files, for example, more than 1 000 000 files in 1 000 folders, you must provide the following system resources:
- Backup server: 1.5 GB RAM per each 1 000 000 files
- Tape server: 800 MB RAM per each 1 000 000 files.
You must provide these resources in addition to general system requirements. For more information, see System Requirements.
Do not back up to tape large number of files (over 1 000 000 files in 1 000 folders) in one tape job if your Veeam backup server uses Microsoft SQL Server Express edition. Processing a large number of files will result in considerable performance penalty.