To specify settings for a backup chain created with the backup job:
- At the Storage step of the wizard, click Advanced.
- On the Backup tab, select the backup method that you want to use to create the backup chain on the backup repository:
- To create a reverse incremental backup chain, select Reverse Incremental.
Dell EMC Data Domain and HPE StoreOnce do not support the reverse incremental backup method. Do not select this option for backup jobs targeted at these types of backup repositories.
- To create an incremental backup chain, select Incremental and enable synthetic full and/or active full backups (see items 3-4).
- To create a forever forward incremental backup chain, select Incremental and do not enable synthetic full and/or active full backups (see items 3-4).
For more information, see Backup Methods.
- If you choose the incremental backup method, you can select to periodically create synthetic full backups and/or active full backups.
- To create a synthetic full backup, select the Create synthetic full backups periodically check box and click Days to schedule synthetic full backups on the necessary week days.
You can additionally choose to transform the previous incremental backup chain into the reverse incremental backup chain. To do this, select the Transform previous backup chains into rollbacks check box.
- To create full backups regularly, select the Create active full backups periodically check box. Use the Monthly on or Weekly on selected days options to define scheduling settings.
Before scheduling periodic full backups, you must make sure that you have enough free space on the backup repository. As an alternative, you can create active full backups manually when needed. For more information, see Active Full Backup.
If you schedule the active full backup and synthetic full backup with or without the transform task on the same day, Veeam Backup & Replication will perform only active full backup. Synthetic full backup and transform task will be skipped.