Limitations for Archive Tier
The archive tier has the following limitations:
- For archive extents you must use the same object storage provider, that you use for the tier (either the performance tier, or the capacity tier) from which data moves to the archive tier:
- If data moves from the performance tier to the archive tier, the object storage on these tiers must be of the same provider. However, in this scale-out backup repository configuration you can use any object storage provider for the capacity tier. For example, you can use Amazon S3 object storage as a performance extent, Google object storage as a capacity extent and Amazon S3 Glacier as an archive extent.
- If data moves from the capacity tier to the archive tier, the object storage on these tiers must be of the same provider. However, in this scale-out backup repository configuration you can use any object storage provider for the performance tier. For example, you can use S3 compatible object storage as a performance extent, Microsoft Azure Blob as a capacity extent and Microsoft Azure Archive as an archive extent.
For more information on configuring performance extents, see Add Performance Extents.
For more information on configuring capacity extents, see Add Capacity Tier.
- Migrating data to another archive tier is not supported.
- Imported backups cannot be offloaded to archive tier.
- You cannot use object storage of different providers in the same type of tier. For example, you cannot add and use Amazon S3 storage and Microsoft Azure Blob storage to one archive extent.
- Incremental backup files cannot be stored in the archive tier.
- Archive Tier does not support Azure accounts with the following redundancy options: zone-redundant storage (ZRS), geo-redundant storage (GZRS) and read-access geo-zone-redundant storage (RA-GZRS). For more information, see Microsoft Docs.
- If you use immutability and have several extents in your archive tier, you must enable it for all extents within this tier. You cannot use mixed configuration and have only one extent with immutability enabled.