Step 10. Specify Data Transfer and Replica Settings
At the Policy Settings step of the wizard, select VMware CDP proxies that must be used for the CDP policy and which suffix to add to replica names:
- Specify which VMware CDP proxies you want to use:
- If you want Veeam Backup & Replication to select proxies automatically, leave Automatic selection in the Source proxy and Target proxy fields.
Veeam Backup & Replication will assign VMware CDP proxies for VM processing one by one. Before processing a new VM from the list, Veeam Backup & Replication will check available VMware CDP proxies. For more information on how Veeam Backup & Replication selects proxies, see How CDP Works.
- If you want to select VMware CDP proxies manually, do the following:
- Click Choose next to the Source proxy field if you want to select VMware CDP proxies in the production site, or next to the Target proxy field if you want to select VMware CDP proxies in the disaster recovery site.
- In the Backup Proxy window, click Use the selected backup proxy servers only. Select proxies that you want to use and click OK.
We recommend that you deploy at least two VMware CDP proxies: one CDP proxy in the production site and one CDP proxy in the disaster recovery site.
- To test whether VMware CDP proxies available in the backup infrastructure can handle replication, click Test.
Veeam Backup & Replication will analyze available CPU on all source and all target VMware CDP proxies, the maximum VM disk write speed during the last hour, and will calculate approximate requirements for VMware CDP proxies. In the CDP Infrastructure Assessment window, you will see the calculated values:
- The CPU rows show CPU cores available on all proxies (source or target).
- The Proxy RAM rows show RAM required for CDP and, in parenthesis, RAM available on all proxies (source or target). If values in the parentheses and near them are the same, you need to upgrade proxies for which values coincide to provide more resources. RAM on proxies must be doubled up because CDP uses 50% of RAM by default. You can change this value with a registry key. For more information, contact Veeam Customer Support.
- The Proxy Bandwidth rows show the maximum disk write speed during the last hour and, in parenthesis, available bandwidth based on available cores of source or target proxies.
- In the Replica name suffix field, specify a suffix that will be added to names of replicas.