Creating Configuration Backups
By default, Veeam Backup & Replication creates a configuration backup daily. You can change the schedule or create a configuration backup manually. You can choose the backup repository in which the configuration backup must be stored, specify the necessary retention settings. Starting from version 12.1 (build 22.214.171.1241), Veeam Backup & Replication allows you to create immutable configuration backups.
For more information on managing configuration backup, see the following topics:
- Scheduling Configuration Backups
- Configuring Notification Settings for Configuration Backups
- Running Configuration Backups Manually
- Creating Encrypted Configuration Backups
- Creating Immutable Configuration Backups
Configuration Backup Files
When you perform configuration backup, Veeam Backup & Replication retrieves data for the backup server from the configuration database, writes this data into a set of XML files and archives these XML files to a backup file of the BCO format.
Veeam Backup & Replication exports information about the following objects:
- Backup infrastructure components and objects: hosts, servers, backup proxies, repositories, WAN accelerators and jobs, global settings configured on the backup server and so on.
- Backups: backups, replicas and backup copies created on the backup server.
- Sessions: job sessions performed on the backup server.
- Tapes: tape libraries connected to the backup server.
Consider the following:
Backup Repository Target
The resulting configuration backup file is stored in the \VeeamConfigBackup\%BackupServer% folder on the default backup repository. However, for security sake, it is recommended that you do not store configuration backups on the default backup repository or in any other folder on the backup server. In this case, if the backup server fails, its configuration data will remain, and you will be able to recover the failed backup server.
When you configure a new backup repository, Veeam Backup & Replication offers you to change the configuration backup file location from the default backup repository to the new backup repository. Click Yes, and Veeam Backup & Replication will automatically change the backup target in the configuration backup job settings and will use this target in future.
Configuration backups that were created before the target change will remain in the default backup repository. You can manually copy them to the new backup repository to have all restore points of the configuration backup in one place.
You cannot store configuration backups in scale-out backup repositories.