Seeding Backups to Azure Blob Storage
After you have completed moving backup data to the Azure Data Box device, you need to ship this device back to Microsoft so that this data can be synchronized with your Azure storage account.
To prepare Azure Data Box for shipping, do the following:
- Put an object storage repository that is associated with the Azure Data Box device into Maintenance mode, as described in Switching to Maintenance Mode.
- Perform the steps described in this Microsoft article.
After mailing the device, wait until it is received by Microsoft. You will get a notification of successful data upload to your Azure storage account. After that, do the following:
- Add an Azure blob storage, as described in Adding Azure Blob Storage.
- In the Capacity Tier step, change your Azure Data Box object storage to Azure blob storage that you have created in the previous step.
- Confirm importing backups from Azure blob storage and wait for the synchronization job to complete.
- Remove Azure Data Box object storage from the Veeam Backup & Replication backup infrastructure, as described in Removing Object Storage Repository.
Keep in mind that if you delete individual VMs from your backup in the period between mailing Azure Data Box and adding Azure blob Storage, you may need to run Active Full instead of Incremental job after final Azure synchronization. To avoid this, do not delete any VMs manually and disable the Retention Policy for Deleted Items option in the job settings for that period. After successful synchronization, you can re-enable this option and work as usual.