Before you install Veeam Backup & Replication, check the following prerequisites:
- A machine on which you plan to install Veeam Backup & Replication must meet the system requirements. For more information, see System Requirements.
- A user account that you plan to use for installation must have sufficient permissions. For more information, see Required Permissions.
- Backup infrastructure components communicate with each other over specific ports. These ports must be open. For more information, see Used Ports.
- Veeam Backup & Replication requires .NET Framework 4.6. If .NET Framework 4.6 is not installed, the Veeam Backup & Replication setup will install it on the backup server.
- Veeam Backup & Replication requires Microsoft SQL Server deployed either locally on the backup server or remotely. If Microsoft SQL Server is not installed, the Veeam Backup & Replication setup will install it locally on the backup server:
- For machines running Microsoft Windows 7, Microsoft Windows Server 2008 or Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2, the setup will install Microsoft SQL Server 2012 SP4 Express Edition.
- For machines running Microsoft Windows Server 2012 or later, the setup will install Microsoft SQL Server 2016 SP1 Express Edition.
If Microsoft SQL Server was installed by the previous product version, Veeam Backup & Replication will connect to the existing configuration database, upgrade it (if necessary) and use it for work.
- You must remove Veeam Backup & Replication components of versions that are not supported by the upgrade procedure from the target machine. You may also need to remove earlier versions of other Veeam products and components.