Removal of GFS Flags
When configuring GFS retention policy settings, you can specify the retention period for each type of GFS flags. After the specified retention period exceeds, Veeam Backup & Replication removes GFS flags.
The date when Veeam Backup & Replication can remove GFS flag is calculated by the following formulas:
- Weekly: date of GFS flag assignment + N * 7 days
- Monthly: date of GFS flag assignment + N months + 1 day
When calculating the date of GFS flag assignment + N months, Veeam Backup & Replication increases the month ordinal number by N. If the calculated date does not exist, Veeam Backup & Replication uses the last date of the calculated month.
- Yearly: date of GFS flag assignment + N years + 1 day
Where, N is the value specified in the Keep weekly/monthly/yearly full backups for field.
Veeam Backup & Replication removes GFS flags only during running backup job sessions. This means that if the backup job does not run on the calculated date, Veeam Backup & Replication will remove the GFS flag later during the next job session.
Consider the following example. At the beginning of January, you create a backup job whose GFS retention policy settings are configured to assign monthly GFS flags. You want to keep backup files with monthly flags for 1 month and set the value of the Keep monthly full backups for field to 1. Veeam Backup & Replication will perform the following steps to assign and remove the flags.
- Veeam Backup & Replication will assign the monthly GFS flag on 1/31/2019.
- To calculate the date when the monthly flag must be removed, the following formula is used: date of GFS flag assignment + 1 month. This means that the flag must be removed on 2/31/2019. However, this date does not exist since the last date of February is 2/28/2019. That is why Veeam Backup & Replication will remove the GFS flag on 3/1/2019 (which is 2/28/2019 + 1 day).