How Restoring Objects from Tape Works
When Veeam Backup & Replication restores object storage data archived to tape, it performs the following operations:
- Veeam Backup & Replication checks the Tape Catalog in the configuration database to discover the tapes containing the needed restore point of the objects. If the tapes are offline, Veeam Backup & Replication prompts the user to insert the required tapes.
- Veeam Backup & Replication connects to Veeam Data Mover deployed on a tape server.
- Veeam Data Mover copies the relevant objects from the tapes.
- The copied objects are transferred to a chosen target location, original or new one. If the target location is object storage, the role of the gateway server is assigned to the tape server. If the tape server is located on Linux machine, then Veeam Backup and Replication server will be used as a gateway server.
- Veeam Backup & Replication updates the Tape Catalog in the configuration database.