If you create a backup job and instruct it to ship transaction logs, the backup job comprises 2 jobs:
- A parent backup job creating an image-level backup of the VM on which the database runs. This job is named as a regular backup job, for example: Daily Job.
- A transaction log backup job responsible for shipping transaction logs to the backup repository. This job is named by the following pattent: <job_name> SQL Backup, for example, Daily Job SQL Backup.
The transaction log backup job is created automatically by Veeam Backup & Replication if it detects that you have added to the backup job at least one Microsoft SQL Server or Oracle VM, enabled application-aware processing and instructed Veeam Backup & Replication to back up transaction logs periodically.
Starting Transaction Log Backup Jobs
A parent backup job is started manually when you click Start on the toolbar, or automatically by schedule. The transaction log backup job is initially started when you enable schedule for the parent backup job. The transaction log backup works continuously in the background. A new session of the transaction log backup job starts every time the parent backup job is launched.
Stopping Transaction Log Backup Jobs
You can stop transaction log processing in one of the following ways:
To disable transaction log shipping:
- Open the Home view.
- In the inventory pane, select Jobs.
- In the working area, select the backup job and click Edit on the ribbon or right-click the backup job and select Edit.
- Pass to the Guest Processing step of the wizard and click Applications.
- In the Application-Aware Processing Options window, select the VM and click Edit.
- On the SQL or Oracle tab of the VM Processing Settings window, disable transaction log backup.
- Save the job settings.
If you disable the scheduling of the parent backup job, the transaction log backup job will be stopped too. Veeam Backup & Replication will instruct the transaction log backup job to complete log processing for all VMs added to the parent backup job, and will switch the parent backup job to the non-scheduled mode. The parent backup job will no longer be started automatically by schedule — you will have to run it manually.
To disable scheduling for the parent backup job:
- Open the Home view.
- In the inventory pane, click Jobs.
- In the working area, click the backup job and click Disable on the ribbon or right-click the job and select Disable.
To re-activate transaction log processing for all VMs in the parent backup job, select the job in the list and click Disable on the ribbon once again.