Exporting backups allows you to synthesize a complete and independent full backup file out of selected restore points that are located in your backup repositories. That is, you can transform any incremental or reverse-incremental backup chain (i.e., all dependent .VBK, .VIB or .VRB files) into a full backup file and specify new retention policy settings for it. This option can be useful for legal hold and archiving purposes in case you want to prevent specific restore points from being deleted according to the retention policy of the primary backup job. It also allows you to provide a specific restore point on removable media.
Exporting backups allows you to export only a full backup file. If you want to export the whole backup chain, use the copy backup feature. For more information, see Copying Backups.
Export applies to Full, Incremental and Reverse-incremental restore points located in:
- Backup repositories.
- Object storage repositories.
- Scale-out backup repositories.
- Backup repositories of cloud service providers and their tenants.
Consider the following:
- Once export is complete, exported backup files will be displayed under the Backups > Disk (Exported) node.
- [For scale-out backup repositories] Backup files exported to the capacity tier will be displayed under the Backups > Capacity Tier (Exported) node. Backup files located in the archive tier will first be exported to the capacity tier, then archived according to the archiving policy and displayed under the Backups > Archive Tier (Exported) node.
- [For scale-out backup repositories] If you export backup files from a capacity tier to the same scale-out backup repository, Veeam Backup & Replication will synthesize backup files in the capacity tier. If you export backups to another scale-out backup repository, Veeam Backup & Replication will synthesize backup files in the performance tier.
- If a restore point that is being exported resides on the tenant side, a new full backup file will also be exported to the same repository (on the tenant side) from which the source restore point is being taken.
- If a tenant initiates the export of a restore point that resides in the subtenant directory, a new full backup file will be exported to the tenant directory.
- If you select a backup job consisting of multiple virtual machines, Veeam will synthesize a separate full backup file per each machine.
- When exporting VMs from VMware Cloud Director backups, all the VMs will be exported without vApps, that is, a new full backup file will be exported as a simple VMWare backup, not VMware Cloud Director backup. For more information about VMware Cloud Director backups, see Backup of VMware Cloud Director VMs.
- Export session results are saved to the configuration database and available for viewing, as described in section Viewing Session Statistics.
In This Section