For some operations with storage snapshots, Veeam Backup & Replication requires a backup proxy. The backup proxy is used for two purposes:
- Rescan of VMFS on storage volumes
- Backup from Storage Snapshot
When Veeam Backup & Replication performs rescan and backup operations, it needs to read the content on storage volumes and snapshots. To do this, Veeam Backup & Replication uses a backup proxy as a helper. Storage volumes and snapshots are mounted as new volumes to the backup proxy. As a result, Veeam Backup & Replication can access mounted volumes and snapshots over the backup proxy and read VM data from them.
To enable storage rescan and Backup from Storage Snapshots, you must configure a backup proxy in the backup infrastructure. The backup proxy must meet the requirements listed below.
- The role of a backup proxy must be assigned to a Microsoft Windows machine. This can be a dedicated machine or backup server performing the role of the default backup proxy.
- For Backup from Storage Snapshots, the transport mode for the backup proxy must be set to Automatic selection or Direct storage access.
- The backup proxy must have a Microsoft iSCSI Software initiator enabled.
- iSCSI traffic between the backup proxy and storage system must be allowed.
For storage rescan, Veeam Backup & Replication uses its own initiator. For this reason, a Microsoft iSCSI Software initiator may not be enabled when you perform storage rescan. For Backup from Storage Snapshots, however, a Microsoft iSCSI Software initiator must be enabled.
Fibre Channel Protocol
- The backup proxy must have a Fibre channel adapter installed and must have access to the storage system over Fibre Channel fabric.
- To let Veeam Backup & Replication present snapshots of LUNs to the backup proxy, you must register the backup proxy with a WWN ID on the storage system.
- Fibre Channel devices must be properly installed and shown in Device Manager on the backup proxy. The WWN ID of the backup proxy must be properly zoned on the Fibre Channel switch.
NFS traffic between the backup proxy and storage system must be allowed.