You can configure a backup job to create backup files and a chain of storage snapshots on the primary storage array and/or secondary storage arrays.
To configure a backup job that creates backup files and a snapshot chain on the primary or secondary storage arrays:
- Open the Backup & Replication view.
- Click Backup Job > VMware or vCloud on the ribbon. Veeam Backup & Replication will launch the New Backup Job wizard.
- At the Name step of the wizard, specify a name and description for the backup job.
- At the Virtual Machines step of the wizard, select VMs whose disks are hosted on the storage system.
- At the Storage step of the wizard, from the Backup repository list select a backup repository where you want to store backup files.
- In the Retention policy section, specify the number of backup restore points that you want to keep.
- Select the Configure secondary destinations for this job check box.
- At the Secondary Target step of the wizard, click Add > NetApp SnapShot or Nimble Snapshot to create storage snapshots on the primary storage array, and/or Add > NetApp SnapMirror or NetApp SnapVault or Nimble Snapshot Replicated Copy to create storage snapshots on the secondary storage array.
- [For primary NetApp and Nimble storage arrays, NetApp SnapVault and Nimble Volume Collection Replication] In the Number of snapshot copies to retain field, specify the number of storage snapshots that you want to maintain in the snapshot chain. When this number is exceeded, Veeam Backup & Replication will trigger the storage system to remove the earliest snapshot from the snapshot chain.
The number of snapshots in the snapshot chain on the primary storage array cannot fewer than 1.
This option is not applicable to NetApp SnapMirror. On NetApp SnapMirror, Veeam Backup & Replication maintains the same number of storage snapshots as on the primary NetApp storage array.
If you use SnapMirror relationships between QTrees, you can define different retention policy settings for the primary NetApp storage system and NetApp SnapMirror. For example, you can configure the backup job to maintain 14 snapshots on the primary NetApp storage system and 10 snapshots of QTree directories on NetApp SnapMirror.
- Specify other backup job settings as required.
- Click Next, then click Finish to save the job settings.