You can configure a backup job to create regular backup files on the backup repository and, additionally, maintain a snapshot chain on the storage system. Veeam Backup & Replication lets you create storage snapshots in the following destinations:
- Primary storage array where VM disks are hosted
- Secondary storage arrays (NetApp and Nimble)
Depending on the backup job settings, the created storage snapshots can be application-consistent or crash-consistent.
The backup job of this type is performed in the following way:
- Veeam Backup & Replication triggers VMware vCenter Server to create a VMware vSphere snapshot for a VM.
- Veeam Backup & Replication instructs the storage system to create a temporary snapshot of a volume or LUN capturing VM disks and VMware vSphere snapshot. The VMware vSphere snapshot on the primary storage array is deleted.
- Veeam Backup & Replication uses the temporary storage snapshot as a data source for backup and replication.
- After the backup or replication job is finished, the temporary volume snapshot is copied to the storage system and published as a new snapshot in the snapshot chain.
- After snapshot transport, Veeam Backup & Replication performs cleanup operations and removes the temporary snapshot on the primary storage array.