Instant First Class Disk (FCD) Recovery
With Instant First Class Disk (FCD) Recovery, you can immediately restore VM disks from a backup file and register them as FCDs. If you want to recover disks in their initial format, see Instant Disk Recovery. For the list of all disk recovery methods and their brief descriptions, see Disk Recovery.
The Instant FCD Recovery is a process that must be finalized. You must migrate FCDs to the production environment or stop publishing them. To migrate the disks, Veeam Backup & Replication uses the Quick Migration mechanism. For more information on how to finalize Instant FCD Recovery, see Finalizing Instant FCD Recovery.
Instant FCD Recovery workflow is divided into two parts: recovery of disks and publishing them as FCDs.
Veeam Backup & Replication performs the following steps to recover disks:
- Initiates a recover session.
- Connects to a target VMware cluster and mounts vPower NFS datastore to all ESXi hosts added to the target VMware cluster.
- Mounts recovered disks and publishes them to the target vPower NFS datastore.
Publishing Recovered Disks as FCDs
Veeam Backup & Replication performs the following steps to publish the recovered disks as FCDs:
- Registers the published disks as FCDs to the target vPower NFS datastore.
- Initiates a creation of a protective snapshot for every FCD. If the Instant FCD Recovery process fails, the protective snapshot guarantees no data loss.
After the snapshots are created, Veeam Backup & Replication unmounts the recovered disks from the vPower NFS datastore.
Veeam Backup & Replication performs Instant FCD Recovery using vPower technology.
Mind the following: