Installing Updates in Unattended Mode
Veeam Backup & Replication updates can be installed in the unattended mode.
To install a Veeam Backup & Replication update, perform the following steps:
- Download the update installation archive and extract the executable file.
- Install the update on the backup server.
The script that installs Veeam Backup & Replication updates must be run with elevated privileges (run as Administrator).
Download and extract the executable file for update installation:
- Download the installation archive for the Veeam Backup & Replication update from the Latest Updates page or from the Release Notes page for a certain update/patch, for example from this Veeam KB article.
- Extract the executable file from the downloaded archive.
- Save the extracted file locally on the backup server where you plan to install the update, or place it in a network shared folder.
Alternatively, you can get the update/patch executable file from the Updates folder on the downloaded ISO image.
To install the Veeam Backup & Replication update on the backup server, use the following command syntax:
%patch% [/silent][/noreboot][/log <log_path>][VBR_AUTO_UPGRADE="yes"]
The command has the following parameters:
Specifies a path to the update installation file on the backup server or in a network shared folder.
Sets the user interface level to “no”, which means no user interaction is needed during installation.
Suppresses reboot if reboot is required during the Veeam Backup & Replication update installation.
Specifies a full path to the log file for the Veeam Backup & Replication update installation.
Specifies if you want Veeam Backup & Replication to automatically upgrade existing components in the backup infrastructure. Veeam Backup & Replication performs automatic upgrade after the Veeam Backup Service is started on the backup server.
Specify Yes to enable automatic upgrade.
You want to install the Veeam Backup & Replication update with the following options:
- Path to the update installation file: C:\Temp\veeam_backup_188.8.131.527_CumulativePatch20210525.exe
- Silent install: enabled
- Noreboot: enabled
- Path to the log file: C:\Logs\veeam.log
- Components auto upgrade: enabled
The command to install the Veeam Backup & Replication update will be the following:
C:\Temp\veeam_backup_184.108.40.2067_CumulativePatch20210525.exe /silent /noreboot /log C:\Logs\veeam.log VBR_AUTO_UPGRADE="Yes"
You can use the last exit code to verify if the installation process has completed successfully.
- In cmd.exe, use the %ERRORLEVEL% variable to check the last exit code.
- In Microsoft Windows PowerShell, use the $LastExitCode variable to check the last exit code.
Veeam Backup & Replication does not provide any confirmation about the results of automatic components upgrade. To check if components have been successfully upgraded, use the Veeam Backup & Replication console.