This section provides information on the Veeam Backup for Salesforce architecture and its components.
The management server is a Linux-based machine where Veeam Backup for Salesforce is installed. The management server performs the following administrative activities:
- Manages infrastructure components.
- Coordinates backup and recovery tasks.
- Controls backup policy scheduling.
- Generates daily reports and email notifications.
Management Server Components
The management server uses the following components:
- Backup service (vbsf-backup service) — performs data retrieval from Salesforce.
- Restore service (vbsf-restore service) — performs data upload to Salesforce.
- Configuration database — stores application configuration, connection details to Salesforce organizations, backup policies, restore jobs, sessions and so on. Note that this database is created during initial configuration of Veeam Backup for Salesforce. Depending on your choice, the configuration database can reside on the management server or remote PostgreSQL server.
- Management server and Web UI (vbsf-backend service) — orchestrates operations performed by other services and provides a web interface that allows user to access to the Veeam Backup for Salesforce functionality.
- Veeam Updater (veeam-updater service) — allows Veeam Backup for Salesforce to check, view and install product and package updates.
To store data and metadata of protected Salesforce organizations, Veeam Backup for Salesforce uses PostgreSQL databases. Each protected organization must have a dedicated database. During backup, Veeam Backup for Salesforce creates standard schemas and saves organization data and metadata to the database specified in the backup policy settings. For more information on databases, see Managing Databases.
One additional database — configuration database — is required to store Veeam Backup for Salesforce configuration. It is possible to combine application configuration schema and Salesforce backup schemas in one database, although it is not recommended for portability reasons.
Consider the following:
- PostgreSQL server must be installed and configured separately. It is not a part of the Veeam installation package.
- Veeam Backup for Salesforce consumes around 50 connections to PostgreSQL database per one backup policy. To avoid possible errors, adjust the maximum allowed number of connections to meet the needs of all backup policies.
To store backups of Salesforce binary objects and metadata, Veeam Backup for Salesforce creates a file repository per each protected Salesforce organization on the management server in the following folder /opt/vbsf/vbsf-backup/data. The name of each file repository is static and contains the path to the folder and organization ID. It is recommended to mount additional storage — an array of disks — to the specified directory to prevent any disk capacity issues on the management server. For more information on required disk capacity, see System Requirements.