Step 3. Connect to Database
At the Connect to PostgreSQL step of the wizard, if you perform the initial configuration of the new instance of Veeam Backup for Salesforce, specify connection settings that will be used to access the following databases:
- The configuration database that will be used to store product data, backup policies, restore jobs, sessions and so on.
- A database that will be used to store backups of all objects, fields, records and relationships of the Salesforce organization connected at step 6.
To configure connection settings, do the following:
- In the Server address field, specify the DNS name or IP address of a PostgreSQL server that will host the databases.
- In the Port field, choose a network port that will be used by Veeam Backup for Salesforce to connect to the PostgreSQL server. The default port number is 5432.
- Use the Username and Password fields to provide credentials of the PostgreSQL user that will be used to access the databases. The user must be assigned permissions required to create database schemas.
Mind that if you want Veeam Backup for Salesforce to be able to create the required databases automatically, the user must also be assigned permissions required to create databases. Otherwise, you have to create the empty databases on the specified server manually beforehand.
If you have chosen the option to automatically install PostgreSQL on the management server during Veeam Backup for Salesforce deployment, this step will contain the predefined values: in the Server address field, the address of the management server will be specified, in the Username and Password fields, credentials of the vbsf PostgreSQL user created when installing PostgreSQL will be provided.
By default, Veeam Backup for Salesforce creates new databases with the following names:
- veeam_data — the name used for the database that will store the backed-up data.
- veeam — the name used for the configuration database.
If you want to rename the databases or specify the existing ones, set the Manually configure databases toggle to On, and specify the custom names.
If you perform configuration of the existing instance of Veeam Backup for Salesforce, at the Connect to a PostgreSQL step of the wizard, specify connection settings that will be used to access the existing configuration database.