Veeam Plug-in for Oracle RMAN
Veeam Backup & Replication offers two options to protect Oracle databases:
- Veeam Plug-in for Oracle RMAN: for transactionally-consistent RMAN-based backups of Oracle databases.
- Veeam Backup & Replication or Veeam Agents: for image-level backups of Oracle servers.
You can use both or one of the options depending on your environment specifics and approach to handle Oracle databases.
Veeam Plug-in uses the backup and restore functionality of Oracle Recovery Manager (RMAN) and transfers backups to Veeam backup repositories.
Use Veeam Plug-in to back up Oracle databases in the following cases:
- If you want the Oracle database administrator to fully control the backup and recovery processes.
- If you want to use existing Oracle RMAN scripts or external schedulers.
- If you use Oracle RAC.
- If you use ASM disks on a physical server.
Veeam Backup & Replication (or Veeam Agent) performs image-level/file-level backup and restore of Oracle servers. Use Veeam Backup & Replication or Veeam Agents to back up Oracle servers in the following cases:
- If you do not have Oracle database administrators.
- If you want to control backup and restore processes on the Veeam Backup & Replication side.
If you want to use Veeam Backup & Replication to protect Oracle servers, see the Creating Backup Jobs section of the Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide.