Configuring Plug-in on Linux or Unix Machines
To configure Veeam Plug-in, you can use OracleRMANConfigTool. The tool configures Oracle RMAN integration settings and creates the veeam_config.xml file which is stored in the installation folder of the plug-in: /opt/veeam/VeeamPluginforOracleRMAN.
Note that the Veeam Plug-in configuration tool changes the settings of Oracle RMAN. All original settings of Oracle RMAN are saved in the /opt/veeam/VeeamPluginforOracleRMAN/RMANParameters.xml file.
To configure Veeam Plug-in for Oracle RMAN, do the following:
- Log in to the Oracle server with an account which is a member of the DBA group.
- Launch the configuration wizard:
- Specify the DNS name or IP address of the Veeam Backup & Replication server.
Enter backup server name or IP address: 172.24.164.68
- Specify the port which will be used to communicate with the Veeam Backup & Replication server. Default port: 10006.
Enter backup server port number: 10006
- Specify credentials to authenticate against the Veeam Backup & Replication server.
Note that the account must have access permissions on the required backup repository. To learn how to configure access permissions and encryption settings on repositories, see Access and Encryption Settings on Repositories.
Enter username: serv17\administrator
Enter password for serv17\administrator:
You can work with backups created by Veeam Plug-in only with the account used for creating the backups. If you want to use another account, assign the Veeam Backup Administrator role or Veeam Backup Operator and Veeam Restore Operator roles to the account.
To learn how to assign Veeam Backup & Replication roles, see the Roles and Users section of the Veeam Backup & Replication Guide.
- Select the backup repository where you want to store the backups. In the wizard dialog, enter the number of the repository from the list of available repositories. If you want to add several repositories, enter the required numbers separated by blank spaces.
If you want to use the Oracle RMAN Backup Duplexing functionality, you can select up to four repositories. The copies of backups will be sent to all selected repositories. Note that Oracle Database Standard Edition does not allow using more than one RMAN channel. Thus, if you use Standard Edition, you can select only one repository.
Available repositories are:
Enter up to 4 Repository numbers as RMAN disk devices for RMAN copy processing. Use blanks as separators: 2
Otherwise, the repositories will not be listed as available. To learn how to configure access permissions and encryption settings on repositories, see Access and Encryption Settings on Repositories.
- Specify the number of parallel data streams for each backup repository. Note that Oracle Database Standard Edition does not allow using more than one RMAN channel. Thus, if you use Standard Edition, you can select only one data stream.
Enter number of data streams (From 1 to 254) that run in parallel for each backup repository (RMAN Plugin DEVICE PARALLELISM VALUE).
Channel count per device: 4
- If you want to enable Veeam compression of backup files, type y. For details, see the Data Compression and Deduplication section of Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide.
Do you want to use Veeam compression (Y/n):y
- At the last step of the plug-in wizard, you can export configuration files (the Veeam Plug-in configuration file and RMAN configuration file). You can import these configuration files to other servers to apply the same settings.
When you save the plug-in configuration, Veeam Plug-in automatically enables Oracle's Controlfile Autobackup feature. This feature is required for restoring with different settings using Veeam Explorer for Oracle.
Configuration Tool Commands
Apart from running a configuration wizard, you can use the OracleRMANConfigTool tool to change a specific parameter in the veeam_config.xml file or enable/disable Veeam Plug-in features.
See the list of available commands for OracleRMANConfigTool:
Shows the list of parameters of the plug-in configuration tool.
Shows configuration parameters.
Starts the wizard to configure the plug-in settings. This wizard edits the veeam_config.xml file or creates a new one if the configuration file was removed from the /opt/veeam/VeeamPluginforOracleRMAN directory.
--set-credentials <"serv\username"> <"password">
Specifies credentials to connect to the Veeam backup server.
Specifies the host of the Veeam backup server.
Specifies the host to connect to the Veeam Backup & Replication server.
Launches a wizard to select a backup repository. A backup repository is selected from repositories which are available in the connected Veeam Backup & Replication instance.
Configures RMAN parallelism settings.
Enables/disables Veeam proprietary feature which compresses backup files.
Maps the imported backups.
Configures the auto-deletion of backup files after specified days.
Enables restore from backup copy. Note that if you enable restore from backup copy, you cannot back up databases with Veeam Plug-in. To revert changes, you must disable restore from backup copy.
Maps the imported backup copy to a regular Veeam Plug-in backup chain.
To specify credentials that will be used to log in to the Veeam Backup & Replication server, use the plug-in configuration tool with the following command.
OracleRMANConfigTool --set-credentials "serv04\joelle" "password"