Before you start using Veeam Plug-in for Microsoft SQL Server, make sure the requirements listed in this section are met.
64-bit versions of the following operating systems are supported:
- Microsoft Windows Server 2022
- Microsoft Windows Server 2019
- Microsoft Windows Server 2016
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2
Note: Server Core installations of Microsoft Windows Server OSes are not supported.
Microsoft SQL Server Database
The following Microsoft SQL Server versions are supported:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2022
- Microsoft SQL Server 2019
- Microsoft SQL Server 2017
- Microsoft SQL Server 2016
- Microsoft SQL Server 2014 SP3
- To connect to the Microsoft SQL Server, Veeam Plug-in requires Microsoft ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server. Other driver versions are not supported. To learn more about the driver, see this Microsoft article.
- Standard, Enterprise, Web, Developer editions of Microsoft SQL Server are supported.
- Express edition of Microsoft SQL Server is not supported.
- Windows Server Failover Clusters are supported, both with shared disks and Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV).
- Always On Availability Groups, Always On Clusterless Availability Groups and Always On Failover Cluster Instances are supported.
- Distributed Availability Groups are not supported.
Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
Veeam Plug-in Toolbar requires Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio:
- If you use Veeam Backup & Replication 12.1, Veeam Plug-in Toolbar requires Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 19.x.
- If you use an earlier version of Veeam Backup & Replication, Veeam Plug-in Toolbar requires Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 18.x.
- If you have Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 18.x and want to upgrade Veeam Backup & Replication to version 12.1 or later, you must also upgrade Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio to version 19.x, before you upgrade Veeam Backup & Replication.
- Remote connections from Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio are not supported.
Veeam Backup & Replication
Veeam Plug-in for Microsoft SQL Server supports integration with Veeam Backup & Replication version 12 or later.
To learn more about the Veeam Plug-in builds included in Veeam Backup & Replication installation ISO files, see this Veeam KB article.
Veeam Plug-in should be able to establish a direct IP connection to the Veeam Backup & Replication server. Thus, Veeam Plug-in cannot work with the Veeam Backup & Replication server that is located behind the NAT gateway.