Restore from Hardened Repository
As a result of malware activity or unplanned actions, backup job metadata (VACM) files may become unavailable in the hardened repository. In this case, to restore data from the hardened repository, you must re-create the VACM file. To do this, complete the following steps:
- Run a Veeam Plug-in backup job to create a new Veeam Plug-in backup in a Veeam backup repository. The backup will consist of the .VAB, .VASM and .VACM files.
- In the backup repository folder, replace the .VAB and .VASM files created at the step 1 with the .VAB and .VASM files from the hardened repository.
- In the Veeam backup console, run the backup repair operation. Veeam Backup & Replication will generate a new .VACM file using information from the .VASM files. For details, see Repairing Backup.
Once the backup job metadata file is re-created, you can use Veeam Plug-in to restore your data.
If you want to restore data from an immutable backup that resides in a hardened repository, you can use the Repair operation. During this operation, Veeam Backup & Replication will generate a new backup job metadata (.VACM) file using information from the backup metadata (.VASM) files.
This operation is intended only for a situation where the backup job metadata file has been lost as a result of malware activity or unplanned actions. Re-creation of the backup job metadata file for other purposes is not supported.
Before you start the repair operation, you must disable the backup job that created the backup. Otherwise, Veeam Backup & Replication will display a message notifying that the job must be disabled.
To repair a backup:
- In the Veeam Backup & Replication console, open the Home view.
- In the inventory pane, select Backups.
- In the working area, select the necessary backup.
- Press and hold the [CTRL] key, right-click the backup and select Repair.
- If you plan to restore SAP HANA databases using Veeam Explorer for SAP HANA and your backups reside on a scale-out backup repository expanded with capacity tier, rescan the backup repository. To learn more about rescan, see the Rescanning Backup Repositories section in the Veeam Backup & Replication guide.
Keep in mind that Veeam Explorer for SAP HANA is available starting from Veeam Backup & Replication 12.1.