After you set up the network hub, you can configure standalone computers (for the point-to-site scenario). A standalone computer is a machine that is able to connect to the VPN and use its resources.
To allow a standalone computer to access the VPN, Veeam PN utilizes OpenVPN. You must install OpenVPN client software on the computer, and use an OVPN file configured by the network hub to set up the VPN connection settings.
Veeam PN lets you set up VPN access from any OS supported by OpenVPN. This section demonstrates OpenVPN client setup for Microsoft Windows OS. For information about OpenVPN setup for other OSes, see https://openvpn.net/index.php/access-server/docs/admin-guides-sp-859543150/howto-connect-client-configuration.html.
Before you configure VPN settings on a standalone computer, you must register the standalone computer in the network hub portal and obtain a configuration file for the computer. For more information, see Registering Clients.
To configure a standalone computer:
- Download the OpenVPN setup file for the necessary OS from: https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/downloads.html.
- Run the OpenVPN setup file and install the product on the computer with default installation settings.
- On the standalone computer, place the client configuration file generated by the network hub in a folder where OpenVPN configuration files are stored (by default, C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config).
- From the Microsoft Windows start menu, select Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and start the OpenVPN Service.
Establishing VPN Connection
By default, the OpenVPN Service is set up to start manually. To easily establish a VPN connection for the standalone computer in future, you can do either of the following:
- Create a script file for the VPN connection.
Create a batch file with the following command:
"openvpn-gui.exe" -- connect "C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config\client.ovpn"
- Create a shortcut for the VPN connection.
Right-click the OpenVPN shortcut on the Desktop. In the Target field of the OpenVPN GUI Properties window, specify the following string:
"C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\bin\openvpn-gui.exe" -- connect "C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config\client.ovpn"
- C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\bin\openvpn-gui.exe is a path to the OpenVPN product folder
- C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config\client.ovpn is a path to the configuration file generated by the network hub
To establish a VPN connection, you will have to execute the script or double-click the shortcut.
The OpenVPN command must be run with the 'Run as Administrator' privileges.