Decrypts imported encrypted backups.
Platform: VMware, Hyper-V
Product Edition: Standard, Enterprise, Enterprise Plus
Set-VBREncryptedBackupPassword -Backup <VBRImportedEncryptedBackup> -Password <string> [<CommonParameters>]
This cmdlet decrypts a selected imported encrypted backup. After you decrypt an imported encrypted backup, you can use such backups for restore. The decrypted backups will be available in the array of backups returned by Get-VBRBackup.
To decrypt an imported encrypted backup,you will need to specify the password or passwords you used to encrypt the backups. If you changed the password one or several times while the backup chain was created, you must enter passwords in the following manner:
- If you decrypt a VBM file, you must specify the latest password that was used to encrypt files in the backup chain.
- If you decrypt a VBK file, you must specify the whole set of passwords that were used to encrypt files in the backup chain.
You can use hints to recall the passwords you used to encrypt the backups. Run Get-VBRImportedEncryptedBackupHint to get the hints for the needed backup.
Specifies the imported encrypted backup you want to decrypt.
Specifies the password required for decrypting the backup.
This cmdlet supports Microsoft PowerShell common parameters. For more information about common parameters, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkID=113216.
The example shows how to decrypt an imported encrypted backup.
- Run Get-VBRImportedEncryptedBackup to get the imported encrypted backup. Save the result to the $encryptedbackup variable.
- Run Get-VBRImportedEncryptedBackupHint to get the password hints. Use the $encryptedbackup variable.
- Run Set-VBREncryptedBackupPassword. Use the $encryptedbackup variable and the hints to recall the passwords.
PS C:\PS> $encryptedbackup = Get-VBRImportedEncryptedBackup -Name "Atlanta SQL Server Backup"
PS C:\PS> Get-VBRImportedEncryptedBackupHint -Backup $encryptedbackup
PS C:\PS> Set-VBREncryptedBackupPassword -Backup $encryptedbackup -Password "123", "345"