The Veeam Backup for Nutanix AHV infrastructure comprises the following set of components:
- Backup Server is a Windows-based physical or virtual machine on which Veeam Backup & Replication is installed. The backup server is the configuration, administration and management component of the backup infrastructure. It coordinates backup and restore operations, controls job scheduling and manages resource allocation.
- Nutanix AHV Cluster is a logical group of Nutanix HCI nodes managed by Nutanix Controller VMs (CVMs). While performing backup and restore operations, Veeam Backup for Nutanix AHV uses the Nutanix AHV cluster to access Nutanix AHV resources such as VMs, volume groups, storage containers and networks.
- Nutanix AHV Backup Appliance is an architecture component that sits logically between the backup server and other components of the backup infrastructure. While the backup server administers tasks, the backup appliance processes jobs and delivers backup traffic.
The Nutanix AHV backup appliance is a Linux-based VM that resides on a Nutanix AHV cluster and includes the following components:
- Backup Appliance Web Console is an interface that allows you to manage backup and restore operations, and to configure settings of the Nutanix AHV backup appliance.
- Veeam Data Mover is a component that performs data processing tasks on behalf of Veeam Backup & Replication, such as retrieving source machine data, performing data deduplication and compression, and storing backed-up data in backup repositories.
- Veeam Updater is a service that is responsible for installing and scheduling updates for the Nutanix AHV backup appliance.
- Nutanix AHV Plug-in is an architecture component that enables integration between the backup server and the Nutanix AHV backup appliance. Nutanix AHV Plug-in also allows the backup server to deploy and manage the Nutanix AHV backup appliance.
- Backup Repository is an architecture component where Veeam Backup for Nutanix AHV stores backup files. The backup repository also runs Veeam Data Mover that retrieves backed-up data from the Nutanix AHV backup appliance.
If the backup repository cannot host Veeam Data Mover, it resides on a server gateway — a dedicated component that “bridges” the backup server and backup repository. For more information, see the Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide, section Gateway Server.