How Backup Jobs Work
When you launch a backup job in the AHV Backup Proxy web console, the following happens:
This diagram is valid only for the backup process. When you run snapshot jobs, snapshots are not transported to a backup repository. Snapshots are stored on the AHV cluster.
- The web console sends the backup job configuration data to AHV Backup Proxy.
- AHV Backup Proxy starts a backup job and forwards the backup session data to Veeam Backup & Replication.
- AHV Backup Proxy connects to the AHV cluster over Nutanix REST API and takes a snapshot of VMs or a PD added to the job.
- AHV Backup Proxy creates a volume group (VG) on the AHV cluster and mounts VM disks via iSCSI and retrieves VM data on block level.
- Veeam Data Mover compresses and deduplicates the VM data and forwards it to the backup repository in the Veeam proprietary format.