AHV Backup Proxy uses built-in functionality of Nutanix AHV to create snapshots of VMs and volume groups. There are the following types of snapshots:
- Backup snapshot: A snapshot created by a backup job of AHV Backup Proxy. Backup snapshots are not visible in the consoles of AHV Backup Proxy and Veeam Backup & Replication. Backup snapshots are used for Veeam Changed Block Tracking (CBT) and Entire VM Restore.
- VG snapshot: A snapshot of a volume group which is created by a backup job of AHV Backup Proxy. VG snapshots are not visible in the consoles of AHV Backup Proxy and Veeam Backup & Replication. VG snapshots are used for Veeam Changed Block Tracking and Entire VM Restore.
- Snapshot: A snapshot of a VM which is created by a snapshot-only job of AHV Backup Proxy. To learn how to manage snapshots, see Managing Backups and Snapshots.
- PD snapshot: A snapshot for VMs and volume groups included in the protection domain (PD). AHV Backup Proxy creates PD snapshots in two cases:
- When you run a PD snapshot job.
- When you run a backup job and select a PD as a source object and at least one consistency group has 2 or more elements (VMs or/and VGs).
- Prism Central snapshot: Snapshots created manually in the Data Protection dashboard of Nutanix Prism. AHV Backup Proxy does not use Prism Central snapshots in any jobs.
For details on protection domains, volume groups, consistency groups, see The Nutanix Bible.