How Backup Works
In this article
When you launch a backup job in the RHV backup proxy web console, the following happens:
- The web console sends the backup job configuration data to the RHV backup proxy.
- The RHV backup proxy starts the backup job and forwards the backup session data to the backup server.
- The RHV backup proxy connects to the RHV host over REST API and creates a checkpoint of all VMs added to the job.
- The RHV backup proxy creates a volume group on the RHV cluster, mounts VM disks through iSCSI and retrieves the VM data on the block level.
- The Veeam Data Mover service compresses and deduplicates the VM data and forwards it to the target backup repository in the native Veeam format.