Updating Veeam Backup for Red Hat Virtualization
Veeam Backup for RHV allows you to download and install new product versions and available package updates from the web console. We recommend to timely install available updates to avoid performance issues while working with the product.
Veeam Backup for RHV has the special Veeam Updater component that is responsible for installing and scheduling the following updates:
- RHV Backup Proxy updates that fix bugs and performance issues in Veeam Backup for RHV.
- Security updates that solve security issues on the Ubuntu distributive on the kernel of which Veeam Backup for RHV is built.
By default, Veeam Backup for RHV automatically checks for available minor updates. You will see a red dot on the bell icon at the top-right of the web console.
Before you install updates for Veeam Backup for RHV, make sure all required ports are open. For more information, see Used Ports.
To check and install updates:
- Open the Veeam Updater portal:
- At the main menu of the Veeam Backup for RHV web console, click and select Appliance Settings.
- Open the Updates tab and click the Check and view updates link.
- In the Updates are available for this system section, select packages that you want to install.
- In the Choose action section, you can select whether you want to install updates now or schedule the installation at the specified time and date:
- Install updates now: select this option if you want to install the updates immediately.
If you start the update while backup or restore processes are running, these backup or restore sessions will be interrupted and finished with an error.
- Schedule updates installation: select this option if you want to install the updates at the specified date and time.
For this option, specify the date and time when updates must be installed. Make sure backup jobs are not scheduled to run on the specified date at the specified time. Otherwise, the update process will interrupt running activities, which may result in data loss.
- Remind me later: if you have not decided when to install updates, you can set an update reminder for the next day or next Monday.
- After the updates are installed, Veeam Backup for RHV has to be rebooted. You can select the Reboot automatically after install if required check box if you want to reboot the appliance automatically. Otherwise, reboot Veeam Backup for RHV manually. For more information, see Rebooting or Shutting Down VM.
- Depending on the option you have chosen, click the Install Updates Now, Schedule Updates Installation or Remind me later button.