Before You Begin
Before you create a backup job, consider the following limitations:
- You can back up each VM with one backup job at a time. If a VM is already being processed by a backup job, another backup job will not start processing this VM until the currently running backup operation completes.
- You cannot back up a VM being restored. Wait for the restore process to complete, and then start the backup job.
- You cannot back up hosted-engine VMs. However, you can create a backup of the oVirt configuration. For more information, see Red Hat Virtualization documentation.
- You cannot back up a VM while previewing its snapshot. For more information, see Red Hat Virtualization documentation.
- You cannot include into a backup job a VM that is being backed up by 3rd party software or an RHV backup appliance connected to another backup server. Wait for the backup process to complete or stop the currently running job manually, and then add the VM to the necessary backup job.
- By default, Veeam Backup for RHV applies the following deduplication and compression settings to backed-up data:
- Deduplication: Enabled
- Data compression level: Optimal
- Storage optimization: Local target (1024 KB block size)
Due to technical limitations, you cannot change these settings while configuring backup jobs.
- By default, backup encryption is disabled for backed-up data. However, you can enable encryption at the repository level. For more information, see the Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide, section Access Permissions.
- VM guest OS file indexing is not supported for backups created with Veeam Backup for RHV.
- Since Veeam Backup & Replication does not allow you to assign information about locations to the RHV manager and backup appliance, job statistics do not include information on the RHV VM data migration between different geographic regions.
- If you want to back up a VM that has been configured with a Red Hat Virtualization Cloud-Init custom script, first remove the script from the VM since it may contain secure data (such as credentials and authorized keys) that will appear in Veeam Backup for RHV backup logs.