This section provides information on the Orchestrator architecture and its components, and describes some common deployment scenarios. The main components in the Orchestrator architecture are:
Optionally, additional infrastructure required for recovery can be connected, for example:
The Orchestrator server is the configuration, administration and management core of the Orchestrator architecture. This is where orchestration plans are created, audited, tested and executed. Internally, the Orchestrator server is comprised of the following components:
- Veeam Orchestrator Server Service — is responsible for managing orchestration plans, and administering user roles and permissions.
- Veeam Orchestrator Web UI — is a web-based user interface that allows users to interact with the Veeam Orchestrator Server Service, and to perform various configuration and administration actions. In the Orchestrator UI, orchestration plans are designed, checked, tested and executed.
- Veeam Backup & Replication Server — is installed with the Orchestrator server to supply Veeam PowerShell libraries and support certain disaster recovery scenarios. It is referred to as an "embedded" server. If a license is applied, the server can work as a fully functional Veeam Backup & Replication server.
- Veeam ONE Server — handles the Veeam ONE Business View engine to gather inventory. This is a custom lightweight edition of Veeam ONE. It is referred to as an "embedded" server. If a license is applied, the server can work as a fully functional Veeam ONE server.
- SQL Server — is used to host configuration data, inventory groups and plan definitions. A Microsoft SQL Server Express instance can be installed locally. However, for best performance and scalability, Microsoft SQL Server Enterprise edition is recommended, which may be a remote server.
All Orchestrator components can be deployed on a single Windows-based physical or virtual machine using the unified installer.
Installation of the Orchestrator server on a machine already running Veeam Backup & Replication or Veeam ONE is not supported.
Veeam Backup & Replication Servers
Deploy an Orchestrator agent to each of your Veeam Backup & Replication servers to orchestrate the recovery of protected machines.
[Optional] NetApp Storage Systems
All NetApp storage systems must be connected to the Orchestrator server. That is, you must connect both storage virtual machines (SVMs) that manage the source volumes hosting VM disks and configuration files, and SVMs that manage the replicated volumes.
You can connect only SVMs to the Orchestrator server. Connections to NetApp clusters and nodes are not supported.
[Optional] HPE Storage Systems
All HPE storage systems must be connected to the Orchestrator server. That is, you must connect storage systems that manage volumes hosting VM disks and configuration files, and storage systems that manage volumes storing replicated data.
You can connect only storage systems to the Orchestrator server. Connections to StoreServ Management Consoles are not supported.
All vCenter Servers that manage protected VMs, or that will host recovered backups, must be connected to the Orchestrator server.