The Files step of the wizard is available if you have chosen to create a file-level backup.
At this step of the wizard, you must specify the backup scope — define what folders with files you want to include in the backup.
In the file-level backup mode, you can create two types of backups:
- File-level backup that includes individual folders on your computer.
- Hybrid backup that contains individual folders and specific volumes of your computer.
To specify the backup scope, in the Objects to backup list select check boxes next to necessary objects. You can include the following data in the backup:
- Operating system data — data pertaining to the OS installed on your computer.
- Personal files — user profile folder including all user settings and data. Typically, the user profile data is located in the Users folder on the system disk, for example, C:\Users.
- System reserved data — system data required to boot the OS installed on your computer. With this option enabled, Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows will include in the backup scope Microsoft Windows system partition and boot partition of your computer. For GPT disks on Microsoft Windows 8, 8.1, 10, 2012 and 2012 R2, Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows will additionally back up the recovery partition. To learn more, see System State Data Backup.
- Individual folders.
- Individual computer volumes.
If you include a specific computer volume in the backup, you can exclude one or more folders that reside on this volume from the backup. To exclude a folder, in the Objects to backup list expand the volume that you have selected for backup and clear the check box next to the necessary folder.
If you choose to back up personal files or include one or more individual folders in the backup, you can configure filters to include or exclude files of a specific type in/from the backup. To learn more, see Configuring Filters.
Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows automatically adds to the list of exclusions the following Microsoft Windows objects for all computer users: temporary files folder, Recycle Bin, Microsoft Windows pagefile, hibernate file and VSS snapshot files from the System Volume Information folder.
To include or exclude files of a specific type in/from the file-level backup, you can configure filters. Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows applies filters to specific folders that you include in the backup. Filters are not applied to computer volumes selected for backup.
To configure a filter:
- At the Files step of the wizard, click Advanced.
- Specify what files you want to back up:
- In the Include masks field, specify file names and/or masks for file types that you want to back up, for example, MyMovie.avi, *filename*, *.docx, *.mp3. Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows will create a backup only for selected files. Other files will not be backed up.
- In the Exclude masks field, specify file names and/or masks for file types that you do not want to back up, for example, OldPhotos.rar, *.temp, *.tmp, *.back. Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows will back up all files except files of the specified type.
- Click Add.
- Repeat steps 2–3 for each mask that you want to add.
You can use a combination of include and exclude masks. Note that exclude masks have a higher priority than include masks. For example, you can specify masks in the following way:
- Include mask: *.avi
- Exclude mask: *movie*
Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows will include in the backup all files of the AVI format that do not contain movie in their names.