Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows can disable backup over metered Internet connections to help you avoid extra costs. If you use a metered Internet connection, a service provider charges by the amount of data sent and received by your computer. Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows can automatically detect metered connections and will not perform backup when your computer is on such connection.
The disable setting applies to all types of backups: scheduled and ad-hoc. Mind the following limitations and requirements:
- Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows disables backup over metered Internet connections only on computers that run Microsoft Windows 8 and later. If the computer runs an earlier version of Microsoft Windows, this option is not applicable.
- You must specify which connections are metered in Microsoft Windows. To learn more, see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17452/windows-metered-internet-connections-faq.
By default, backup over metered connections is disabled. To enable backup over metered connections:
- Double-click the Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows icon in the system tray or right-click the Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows icon in the system tray and select Control Panel.
- At the top of the window, click the Settings tab.
- Clear Disable backup over metered connection check box.
If you start the backup job manually when only a metered connection is available, Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows will display a warning and ask you to confirm that you want to use this connection for backup.