You can pre-install Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows in a custom Microsoft Windows system image that will be used for deployment on different computers. To do this, you should perform a set of configuration steps in the reference Microsoft Windows system installation that will be included in a deployment image.
To configure a custom Microsoft Windows system image with Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows:
- Install Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows in a Microsoft Windows system image. To learn more, see Installing Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows.
- Configure the backup job in the way you want it to work on computers with pre-installed Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows. To learn more, see Configuring Backup Job.
It is advised to configure the backup job for the entire computer backup. In case of volume-level backup, it may be necessary to reconfigure the backup job after Microsoft Windows is deployed to the target computer and include the necessary volumes in the backup once again. This may happen if volumes' GUIDs were changed at the stage of Microsoft Windows generalization with Sysprep.
- Create a registry key value: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup\SysprepMode (DWORD)=1.
This registry key value is used to regenerate the job ID when Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows starts for the first time on the new computer. If you do not create the registry key value, the backup job may fail as soon as it is started on the new computer.
- Run the Sysprep tool in the Generalize mode to remove any system-specific data. If you need to run the Sysprep tool in the Audit mode, do not forget to re-create the registry key afterwards.
- Deploy the image on the necessary computers in any convenient way. To learn more about deployment of Microsoft Windows system to new computers, see https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd349343.aspx.
When you deploy the created image on the computer, Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows will re-generate its internal ID of the backup job. As a result, the backup job will be fully functional.