Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows lets you configure a scheduled backup job that will perform backup automatically in a timely manner. You can set up the backup job once and forget about running the backup operation manually. Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows will periodically launch the job to back up necessary data on your computer.
The backup job settings define what data you want to back up, what the target location and retention policy for created backups are and how often you want to back up your data. If necessary, you can re-configure the backup job at any time or remove the job.
Depending on the product edition, you can configure one or more backup jobs in Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows:
- For the Free product edition, you can configure one backup job only.
- For the Workstation product edition, you can configure an unlimited number of backup jobs targeted at a Veeam Cloud Connect repository plus one backup job targeted at any other supported backup location (local or removable computer drive, network shared folder, Veeam backup repository or Microsoft OneDrive).
- For the Server product edition, you can configure an unlimited number of backup jobs targeted at any supported backup location.
For example, you can configure one backup job to create volume-level backup and another backup job to create file-level backup. Or you can configure backup jobs targeted at different backup locations to keep several copies of your backed-up data. You can also configure multiple backup jobs with individual schedule to fine-tune automatic backup creation process.
Settings of the backup job apply to ad-hoc backups as well: standalone full backups, active full backups and incremental backups.
Backup Job Schedule
Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows launches the backup job according to the schedule you define. Scheduling options available for the backup job differ depending on the edition of Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows:
- For Free and Workstation product editions, you can schedule the job to start at specific time daily or on specific week days. You can also instruct Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows to automatically perform backup on specific events. To learn more, see Scheduling Options in Free and Workstation Editions.
- For the Server product edition, you can configure daily, monthly and periodic backup job schedule. You can also specify settings for automatic job retries and configure a backup window. To learn more, see Scheduling Options in Server Edition.
If you configure multiple backup jobs in Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows, you can specify individual schedule for each job. Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows processes backup jobs sequentially, one after another. If the backup job must start upon schedule at the time when another backup job is already running, the job will wait for the running job to complete, and start afterwards.
For portable devices, Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows does not start a backup job on the defined schedule if a device is working on battery and the battery level is below 20%.
If a backup job fails, Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows automatically retries the job. In Free and Workstation editions, Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows retries the job every 10 minutes within the next 23 hours. In the Server edition, you can specify retry settings along with other scheduling options. To learn more, see Automatic Job Retries and Job Retry.