Virtual lab testing may be started on-demand for any failover plan in the ENABLED or DISABLED state.
- Log in to the VAO UI in the DR site as a Site Administrator or Failover Plan Author. For details, see Accessing VAO UI.
- Navigate to Failover Plans.
- Select the failover plan.
- From the Verify menu, choose Run Lab Test.
- Complete the Run Lab Test wizard.
At the Lab step, select the virtual lab in which the plan will be verified.
At the Test RTO step, use the Set test RTO of <n> hours field to specify the time period during which plan testing must complete to comply with your RTO requirements.
You can also select the Stop testing this Plan if the RTO is exceeded check box to power off plan testing if its duration exceeds the preferred time limit.
At the Choose Lab Groups step, add the required lab groups to support the test environment:
- Use the Add and Remove controls to manage previously configured lab groups.
- Use the Up and Down arrows to change the group execution order.
- Select the Keep this Virtual Lab running when Plan testing is complete check box if you are willing to perform further tests.
All default lab groups previously created by a DR Site Administrator will automatically become preselected in the Lab Groups to use list, and you will not be able to remove them or modify the order in which they will run. For more information, see Working with Default Lab Groups.
At the Keep Plan Running step, you may also choose to keep plan VMs running after the testing process is over. This option will be available only if the following conditions are met:
- The Stop testing this Plan if the RTO is exceeded check box has not been selected at the Test RTO step of the wizard.
- The Keep this Virtual Lab running when Plan testing is complete check box has been selected at the Choose Lab Groups step of the wizard.
At the Summary step, review configuration information and click Finish.
The lab will power on, start lab groups, and begin testing the failover plan. To track lab progress, switch to the Lab Details page.
If the lab halts, the plan will fail to be tested.
As soon as the test is over, a Plan Test Execution Report will be generated. The plan and the virtual lab will be shut down or will keep running, depending on the options chosen when launching the test.
Even if you have enabled the Keep this Virtual Lab running when Plan testing is complete and Keep the Plan VMs running when Plan testing is complete options, the test will be considered to be complete when all plan steps have been run. The Plan Test Execution Report will be generated at that point.