The order in which VMs in a failover plan are processed depends on the VM Recovery Options configured while creating the plan:
- If the Start in sequence option is selected for a VM group, VMs in the group will be processed in the order they appear in the Virtual Machines list.
If new VMs are added to a VM group, and the Start in sequence option is selected for the VM group, the new VMs will be added to the end of the VM list and processed last.
- If the Start simultaneously option is selected for a VM group, VMs in the group will be processed in the alphabetical order by default.
If you select this option, you will also have to configure the maximum number of VMs processed simultaneously. For more information, see Creating Failover Plans.
If new VMs are added to a VM group, and the Start simultaneously option is selected for the VM group, the entire VM list will be resorted and then processed in the alphabetical order.
If some VMs are dependent on other VMs, ensure the required VMs are started first.
To define failover order for VMs included in a plan group:
- Select the plan and click Manage > Edit.
- On the Edit Plan page:
- In the Plan Groups column, select a group.
- To move VMs included in the group up or down the list, use the Up and Down arrows in the Virtual Machines column.
- To save changes made to the plan settings, click Save.
If some VMs in a group are mission critical, mark each of them as Critical. If the recovery process for such a VM fails, the plan will be halted.
This will influence VM recovery options configured for the whole group. For more information on overriding VM recovery options, see Overriding VM Recovery and Protection Settings.