Deploying Veeam Agent for Linux Using Pre-installed Veeam Deployer Service
Starting from Veeam Backup & Replication version 12.1, you have an option to install Veeam Agent on Linux computers using certificate-based authentication instead of credentials. To do so, you must install Veeam Deployer Service on the computer and then add the computer to a protection group of the Individual computers type. In this case, Veeam Backup & Replication does not require SSH connection to install Veeam Agent for Linux.
You cannot use this deployment method to install and configure a nosnap version of Veeam Agent for Linux (including Veeam Agent for Linux on Power) on a Linux computer.
Deploying Veeam Agent
To deploy Veeam Agent for Linux using pre-installed Veeam Deployer Service, perform the following steps:
- On the Veeam Backup & Replication side, start a Veeam PowerShell session. For more information, see the Starting Veeam PowerShell Sessions in the Veeam PowerShell Reference.
- Run the Generate-VBRBackupServerDeployerKit cmdlet to generate the Veeam Deployer Service temporary certificate and export the Veeam Backup & Replication Deployer Client certificate and Veeam Deployer Service installation packages. To learn more, see the Generate-VBRBackupServerDeployerKit section in the Veeam PowerShell Reference.
- Upload the obtained files on the computer that you want to protect.
- On the Veeam Agent computer side, navigate to the directory where you have saved the files and install Veeam Deployer Service using a package manager.
- Run the following commands to install the certificates:
/opt/veeam/deployment/veeamdeploymentsvc --install-server-certificate server-cert.p12
/opt/veeam/deployment/veeamdeploymentsvc --install-certificate client-cert.pem
- On the Veeam Backup & Replication side, create a protection group with the following parameters:
- At the Type step of the wizard, select Individuals computers.
- At the Computers step of the wizard, specify a computer and select the Connect using certificate-based authentication method to connect to the computer.
To learn more, see Creating Protection Groups.
After you create the protection group, Veeam Backup & Replication will rescan the protection group. During the rescan operation, Veeam Backup & Replication will replace the Veeam Deployer Service temporary certificate, connect to the Veeam Deployer Service and install Veeam Agent. To learn more, see Rescan Job.