Step 6. Specify Backup Scope Settings
The Objects step of the wizard is available if you have chosen the Custom scope mode at the Backup Mode step of the wizard.
At this step of the wizard, you must specify the backup scope — define what folders with files you want to include in the backup. The specified backup scope settings will apply to all computers that are added to the backup policy. If a specified folder does not exist on one or more computers in the policy, the policy will skip such folder on those computers and back up existing ones.
To specify directories to back up:
- In the Choose directories to backup field, click Add.
- In the Add Object window, type the path to a directory that you want to back up, for example, /home/user01, and click OK.
- Repeat steps 1–2 for all directories that you want to back up.
To include or exclude files of a specific type in/from the file-level backup, you can configure filters.
To configure a filter:
- At the Objects step of the wizard, click Advanced.
- Specify what files you want to back up:
- In the Include masks field, specify file names and/or masks for file types that you want to back up, for example, Report.pdf or *filename*. Veeam Agent will create a backup only for selected files. Other files will not be backed up.
- In the Exclude masks field, specify file names and/or masks for file types that you do not want to back up, for example, OldReports.tar.gz or *.odt. Veeam Agent will back up all files except files of the specified type.
- Click Add.
- Repeat steps 2–3 for each mask that you want to add.
You can use a combination of include and exclude masks. Note that exclude masks have a higher priority than include masks. For example, you can specify masks in the following way:
- Include mask: *.pdf
- Exclude mask: *draft*
Veeam Agent will include in the backup all files of the PDF format that do not contain draft in their names.