To back up data of your protected computers, you must configure a Veeam Agent backup job in Veeam Backup & Replication. The Veeam Agent backup job defines how, where and when to back up data. In Veeam Backup & Replication, you can create Veeam Agent backup jobs of the following types:
- Backup job that runs on the backup server in the similar way as a regular job for VM data backup. The backup job is intended for protected computers that have permanent connection to the backup server. One job can be used to process one or more protection groups and/or individual computers.
- Backup policy that describes configuration of individual Veeam Agent backup jobs running on protected computers. The backup policy helps speed up the process of configuring backup job settings on protected computers that may have limited connection to the backup server. Settings from a backup policy can be applied to one or more individual computers or computers added to the inventory as a part of a protection group.
Veeam Backup & Replication lets you create Veeam Agent backup jobs of both types (the backup job itself and backup policy) for the following types of protected computers:
- Microsoft Windows computers — computers protected with Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows
- Linux computers — computers protected with Veeam Agent for Linux
If a protection group contains Microsoft Windows computers and Linux computers, you can add this protection group to a Veeam Agent backup job intended for any of these types of protected computers. Veeam Backup & Replication will automatically exclude computers of another type from the backup job and processes only those computers that run an OS of the same type.
For example, if you add a protection group that contains Microsoft Windows and Linux computers to a Veeam Agent backup job intended for Linux computers, Veeam Backup & Replication will exclude Microsoft Windows computers from this backup job and process only Linux computers within the job.
A protected computer may be processed by more than one Veeam Agent backup job according to the following rules:
- You can include the same computer in more than one backup job (Veeam Agent backup job managed by the backup server).
- You cannot include the same computer in a backup job and backup policy simultaneously.
- You can include a Linux computer of the Server type in more than one backup policy.
- You cannot include a Microsoft Windows computer in more than one backup policy.
In this Section
- Creating Agent Job for Windows Computers
- Creating Agent Job for Linux Computers
- Creating Veeam Agent Backup Policy