The Veeam Agent management infrastructure comprises the following components:
The Veeam backup server is the core component in the backup infrastructure that fills the role of the “configuration and control center”. To use the Veeam Agent management functionality offered by Veeam Backup & Replication, you can use the backup server that is already running in your backup infrastructure or deploy a separate backup server. The backup server must run Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 Update 4.
To learn more, see the Deployment section in the Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide.
To deploy and manage Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows and/or Veeam Agent for Linux on computers in your infrastructure, you must add computers that you want to protect with Veeam Agents to the inventory in the Veeam Backup & Replication console. In Veeam Backup & Replication, protected computers are organized into protection groups. To learn more, see Protection Groups.
Veeam Backup & Replication is set up to automatically discover computers added to the inventory and deploy Veeam Agents on these computers. To learn more, see Computers Discovery and Veeam Agent Deployment.
Veeam Backup & Replication lets you deploy and manage Veeam Agent on machines of the following types:
- Workstations, servers and failover clusters running a Microsoft Windows OS — on machines of this type Veeam Backup & Replication deploys Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 3.0.
- Workstations and servers running a Linux OS — on machines of this type Veeam Backup & Replication deploys Veeam Agent for Linux 3.0.
Starting from version 9.5 Update 4a, Veeam Backup & Replication deploys Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 3.0.1 and Veeam Agent for Linux 3.0.1 on protected computers.
On every Windows machine added to the inventory, Veeam Backup & Replication installs the Veeam Installer Service. The service performs the following tasks:
- Collects information about the protected computer and sends it to the Veeam backup server. The collected data includes details on the computer type, platform, host name, guest OS, BIOS UUID, IP address, and information about Veeam Agent (its presence on the machine, product version and license installed).
- Downloads Veeam Agent setup files from the distribution server and installs Veeam Agent on the protected computer.
On Linux machines, Veeam Backup & Replication does not install additional components for Veeam Agent deployment. Veeam Backup & Replication connects to a Linux computer via SSH and performs necessary operations on the computer.
Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows and Veeam Agent for Linux deployed on remote computers by Veeam Backup & Replication operate in the managed mode. In this mode, all data protection and administration tasks are performed by a backup administrator in Veeam Backup & Replication. In some scenarios, a user can also perform a limited set of backup and disaster recovery tasks directly on a protected computer.
The distribution server is an architecture component in the Veeam Agent management infrastructure used for deployment of Veeam Agent setup files to protected computers. When you instruct Veeam Backup & Replication to install Veeam Agent on a protected computer, the Veeam backup server communicates to the distribution server, and Veeam Backup & Replication uploads Veeam Agent setup file from the distribution server to the target computer.
By default, the role of the distribution server is assigned to the backup server itself. However, you can deploy a dedicated distribution server to reduce workload on the backup server. To deploy a distribution server, you need to add a Windows-based server to Veeam Backup & Replication and select this server in the properties of a protection group. To learn more, see Specify Discovery and Deployment Options.
A machine performing the role of the distribution server must meet the following requirements:
- The role of the distribution server can be assigned to a physical or virtual machine.
- The machine must run a 64-bit Microsoft Windows OS.
- You must add the machine to the Veeam Backup & Replication console as a managed server.
The distribution server comprises the following services and components:
- Veeam Distribution Service
- Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Redistributable
- Veeam Agent for Linux Redistributable