A SureBackup job is a task for recovery verification. You can run the SureBackup job manually or schedule it to run automatically.
SureBackup job can operate in two different backup verification modes:
- Full recoverability testing. Veeam Backup & Replication runs machines in an isolated environment directly from backup and performs tests against live applications.This mode ensures recoverability of your production workloads in a disaster recovery event. To learn more, see the Full Recoverability Testing section in the Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide.
- [For Veeam Backup & Replication 12.1] Backup verification and content scan only. Veeam Backup & Replication performs backup integrity check and its content analysis to detect traces of malware or any other unwanted or sensitive data. These tests do no require setting up a virtual lab or an application group. To learn more, see the Backup verification and content scan only section in the Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide.
Before you configure a SureBackup job that will test your backup, you must complete the following steps:
- Consider limitations listed in section Recovery Verification for Veeam Agent Backups.
- Prepare a backup that you will test using the SureBackup job:
- Add a computer to the inventory and deploy Veeam Agent on this computer using the Veeam Backup & Replication console. To learn more, see Creating Protection Groups.
- Create a backup job with the Entire machine or Volume level backup mode selected in the job settings. To learn more, Creating Veeam Agent Backup Jobs.
- Run the backup job to create a backup.
- [For full recoverability testing mode] Configure the backup infrastructure to create the SureBackup job:
- Add a virtual lab. The virtual lab is an isolated virtual environment in which Veeam Backup & Replication will test your backups. VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V servers are supported. To learn more, see the Creating Virtual Lab section in the Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide.
Starting from Veeam Backup & Replication version 12.1, you can add a virtual lab during creating a SureBackup job at the Virtual Lab step of the New SureBackup Job wizard.
- Add an application group. The application group provides a fully functional work for a host or a group of hosts that is created by Veeam Agent to test your backup. To learn more, see the Creating Application Groups section in the Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide.
When you configure the application group, you must add the backup you want to test to this group.
Consider the following:
After all preparations are done, you can create the SureBackup job.