To ensure that settings of Veeam Agent backup jobs on protected computers are up-to-date and do not differ from backup settings specified in the backup policy, Veeam Backup & Replication regularly applies the backup policy to protected computers. There are two methods to start the policy application process:
- By Veeam Backup & Replication
Veeam Backup & Replication applies the backup policy to protected computers at the following events:
- At the time when the backup policy is created.
- At the time when Veeam Backup & Replication performs scheduled rescan of protection groups added to the backup policy. Veeam Backup & Replication automatically rescans a protection group upon schedule specified in the protection group settings.
- By Veeam Agent
The Veeam Agent service running on a protected computer regularly checks whether job settings obtained from the backup policy are up-to-date and updates backup job settings, if necessary. Veeam Agent performs the check operation according to the following rules:
- In case 6 or more hours pass since the previous check, Veeam Agent performs the check operation at the time when the backup job starts upon schedule.
- In case 24 hours pass since the previous check, Veeam Agent immediately starts the check operation.
During the check, Veeam Agent performs the following operations:
- Connects to Veeam Backup & Replication and obtains from the Veeam Backup & Replication database information about backup policies to which the Veeam Agent computer was added.
- Compares obtained backup policy settings with backup job settings in the Veeam Agent database. If the settings differ, Veeam Agent performs the following tasks:
- If backup policy settings and Veeam Agent backup job settings do not match, Veeam Agent updates backup job settings in its database.
- If the protected computer was added to a new backup policy, Veeam Agent creates a new backup job on the protected computer.
- If the protected computer was removed from the backup policy, Veeam Agent removes the Veeam Agent backup job on the protected computer.
You can also apply the backup policy to protected computers manually, if needed. To learn more, see Applying Backup Policy to Protected Computers.